Sunday, January 22, 2012

Spirit Things




As the old saying goes: When it rains it pours and it's raining down cold and hard out here at Point Reyes today. We had a big group of Boy Scouts that basically took over the whole place, and they were super adorable in the way that well behaved gangly teenagers are really fun to watch be excited about things. Talked to a guest for a while about why I left the hectic life of the city and sales and marketing, and what he does out in Silicon Valley, after having spent a life traveling and being relatively outdoorsy. As a matter of fact, he actually is starting up a pretty cool website for families who want an online guide for outdoor centered travel with kids, called Let's Go Exploring. He also runs workshops and does reviews of pretty cool places that are family friendly and makes some pretty great kids packs. He goes by Glyph Guy. We'll let him keep that trail name. :)



My best bay friend was up visiting last night. We had a day of excellent food and great conversation, as always. She was a little off put by my window sill decorations. Mostly it's sticks and driftwood and rocks I've picked up from around the beaches here and other places I've been in the last few months, but there are some bones, particularly, a skull and a couple of feathers of a cormorant bird, a deer spine, a sand dollar, some pieces of mussel and abalone shells, vertebrae of a seal, and a bird femur. She asked me why I had them, and I told her they were my "Spirit Things". You know, because I live in nature and stuff. At some point she asked me what kinds of dreams they were sending me. I'm not very superstitious or fruity, I don't think, and so I told her they weren't those kinds of spirit things. I do like having them around though. Maybe it's that they make me feel more grounded or connected to something larger than myself. I don't know. And then I had a dream last night that was pretty vivid and kind of related to my spirit things. Ah the power of suggestion.





No comments:

Post a Comment