Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It Deserves a Post

I've been having some really fantastic conversations with a new friend lately. A big theme in our most recent conversations has been slowing down. We're incredibly similar people, and it's really interesting to have conversations with her, because I'm feeling like I'm getting things out of my own head (I talk to myself a lot when I hike) and getting feedback from someone else, infusion of different ideas and a different perspective, which can be totally helpful. I probably still need to go on a solitary hike to hash all of it out in my own brain, but I like the infusion of outside perspective building on concepts I'm already working on.

So anyways, this slowing down thing: SO IMPORTANT. For so long, I've been rushing from place to place, idea to idea, job to job, rush rush rush rush rush. I'm known for making full on 180 degree turns in my life direction at the drop of a hat. So much so that a friend exclaimed when she saw me after a few months and many life changes on my parts (Yes, many life changes in a few months. Long story.) "I can't believe the way you change directions. It's incredible. One minute you're heading in one direction and the next it's a completely different one!" This is an old habit. I enjoy it, but it's stressful.

So, part of a long process of changing habits has been being out here at Point Reyes working. It started with "I need to get out of Oakland". It progressed to "I want to live somewhere beautiful where I can see and smell trees every day.". From there, Point Reyes. Here, I've been working on all kinds of things: Confidence. Health, physical and emotional. Music. Courage to play and sing in front of people. Friendships. Slowly, ever so slowly, romantic relationships. Being happy.

I'm embracing slow as part of my happiness program. It's something I was begging for last year in the height of my stressed out moments. It's something I swore I'd ask for in my next romance. It's something I promised myself. It's something I'm feeling I'm getting to.

My new friend is being a great example. She's taken note, and I'm watching her really slow down her thought process and take time to consider things. I think a really important part of this slowing down thing is to remember to experiment with actions in the midst of this slowing. To try certain things I've tried before in different circumstances that might work better, and to try new things, and in between all of it, take time to process what's going on, what I'm feeling, figure out what to keep and what to throw away.

Note to readers: My health insurance kicks in just a week from now, and I plan on starting therapy up again right away to work through some stuff I'm not sure I can totally get through on my own but that has been recently brought to my attention. I'm pretty excited about it.

Also, one of my all time favorite quotes is "Don't worry about losing. If it is right, it happens -- The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away." It was something John Steinbeck said in a letter to his son about love. I had no idea until today. We get full pictures when we're ready I suppose, and everything happens for a reason. I love this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment