Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wabi Sabi


Wabi Sabi is a Japanese principle of simplicity and imperfection. From Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson who summarize it nicely in the chapter "No One Likes Plastic Flowers":

"Wabi Sabi values character and uniqueness over a shiny facade. It teaches that cracks and scratches in things should be embraced. It's also about simplicity. You strip things down and then use what you have."

I'm finding this short but beautiful article on Leonard Koren inspiring. It makes me want to go out and do photo essays on cracks (of which there are plenty in Oakland), small shops and their owners, and graffiti art around my neighborhood.

Also, the preview listen of Bon Iver's new album is up at the New York Times and NPR today, finally. I like it. Though like all of his stuff, there's an internal love of it, but it takes time for my mind to wrap around the acoustics. It's so simple at it's core, and yet he layers things in such a way that I have to really listen to it a few times before I "get" it.

No comments:

Post a Comment