Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tahoe!

I made it.

Money spent?

30- Rideshare (Amtrak takes 50$ one way from the East Bay. Greyhound doesn't stop in South Lake)
3.77- Belt, Pair of Shorts, Hat from the Attic, which is a local thrift store.

This money was spent out of some extra I had from selling my Bed and Dishes, so I'm not yet digging into my $355.

The ride up took 5 and a half hours. It was like driving up the mountains in a snow storm, only with less cars sliding around the road. My ride share girl was pretty rad, she'd worked in Vail for 6 years before moving to Tahoe and working here for a couple years. She lives in SF now, going to school and working full time. She seemed to know a ton of people up here which could be good for me. Mostly I'm exhausted though. Between having my plans change almost hourly, getting my stuff out of the house, whether it was being sold or given away or stored, choosing the stuff that I would keep vs the stuff to get rid of (Art, costumes, sticks and rocks got kept. Almost everything else? Gone.), interviews, job applications and budgeting, I've been pretty stressed out the last few weeks. My wit has gone up, my language skills have gone down, and my memory is reliably unreliable. I'm starting to catch up on sleep, but it's still going to be a while before I'm at 100%.

I cooked a skillet pizza last night for the boys.

I'm staying at a house in town populated by camp people, and sleeping in the RV with Matty and Jon.

(Abiyoyo. Photo: Jon Green)

The traffic is crazy in town right now. I'll be glad when the tourists go home and I can ride my bike around.

Jared is getting out to camp tomorrow sometime, and Ficke is heading out on Tuesday.

Right now my plan is to do a couple open mic nights in town and meet some musicians. I'm going to go to the EDD in town and talk to them about getting unemployment, (I applied and got turned down, I'm going to see about an appeal) and I'm going to go visit Heavenly. I am pretty sure this is not where I'm going to end up in the end, though I think I'm going to spend the winter up here. There's a migration to the central coast, but that isn't where I want to be, and one of my most favorite people is moving to Upstate New York, but I don't want east coast winters.

Before I left I got a package from my dear friend Cyndi, containing the clothes I left at her house in Utah, and three CD's. One was a Mason Jennings CD. This is the song I listened to on my way out of Oakland, and it's been stuck in my head:





No comments:

Post a Comment